Wednesday, July 29, 2009

16 Month Agility Update

My little midget dog is officially 16 months next Tuesday were has the time gone. She is growing up oh so quickly. In just over 2 months she could conceivably enter her first agility trial!!!!

Any way just back in from agility training and since I have neglected to do any agility related updates for a while to my blog I thought I would give a run down on what we have been up to.

Her weavers are fantastic. She really drives hard and is pretty good at nailing her 12 poles. She can do both the base plated weavers and the stick in the ground type poles although she is still having issues with the stick in the ground ones. Her right hand side poles are lovely but I need to put in more work with her left hand side as she tends to skip poles in the middle. Has no problems nailing entries 90% of the time.

Tonight I set up Susan Salo's Circle of Death exercise since Sue guru suggested I give it a shot. Kenzie did it easily in both directions as did her bigger sister Ness. So much for my thoughts which were nah she couldn't do that.

We spent some time shaping a down on the table. She will now offer going up and laying down and the best bit is all the down maintain work with no additional commands I have done for obedience translated nicely across to a very solid down on the table. She would only jump off if given her release command. Yee Har clever Kenzie.

I did some figure 8's around a tyre and a bar as well as a simple table, bar, bar, tunnel, bar exercise. She let me do a lead out to the tunnel while she stayed in a drop on the table.

She is a bundle of fun and very driven. I have to watch that she doesn't get frustrated though as she is a bit opinionated and likes to vocalise her way around the sequences, the consequence of this is she stops listening and focusing on the task and just focuses on biting me.

Any way she is doing wonderfully. Now I just need to get stuck into teaching contacts which at the moment are the only thing she hasn't really started.

No comments: